TWF file extension - ArcView world coordinates file
What is .twf file?
File type specification:
The twf file extension is associated with ArcView and used for world coordinates file. The .tfw files provide real world coordinate information that allows a corresponding .tif file to be correctly positioned on a map or in a mapping system.
The *.tfw files are in ASCII editable format that contain six numbers, one on each line. Something like this:
0.7 0 0 -0.9 547000.216 789412.471
Each line provides the following information:
- Line 1: X-scale. This is the horizontal distance in meters represented by each pixel. So in the above example each pixel is .7 meters wide.
- Line 2: Rotation about the Y axis.
- Line 3: Rotation about X axis.
- Line 4: Y-scale This is the vertical distance in meters represented by each pixel. So in the above example each pixel is .9 meters tall. Normally negative, because whilst an image has its origin in the top left corner, for Northings and Eastings the origin is normally considered to be the bottom left corner - hence why the scale is normally negative.
- Line 5: X-reference point. This is the horizontal coordinate (or Easting) of the center of the top left pixel.
- Line 6: Y-reference point. This is the vertical coordinate (or Northing) of the center of the top left pixel.
Occasionally the .tfw files can also have two additional lines, but they are not part of the standard ArcView TFW file format.
- Line 7: Grid zone or Coordinate System.
- Line 8: Datum
The default software associated to twf file type:
Company or developer:
ArcGIS for Desktop Basic (formerly known as ArcView) is GIS (geographic information system) application used to visualizing, managing, creating, and analyzing geographic data. ArcView is a part of the ArcGIS Desktop. ArcView supports creation of interactive maps, spatial analysis, GIS deployment, map viewing and navigation, map printing etc.
List of software applications associated to the .twf file extension
Recommended software programs are sorted by OS platform (Windows, Mac OS X etc.) and possible program actions
that can be done with the file: like open twf file, edit twf file, convert twf file, view twf file, play twf file etc. (if exist software for corresponding action in File-Extensions.org's database).
Click on the tab below to simply browse between the application actions, to quickly get a list of recommended software, which is able to perform the specified software action, such as opening, editing or converting of the twf files.
- Export twf file
- Others twf file