Developer / company: CHDK Wiki
CHDK is free software – CHDK released under the GPL, allowing you to use it for free, and also create your own modifications.
- CHDK is a firmware ADDON – CHDK does not replace the original firmware, and does not make any permanent changes to the camera. Instead, it is loaded from the SD card, either at startup or using the built in menu.
- CHDK – stands for Canon Hack Development Kit;
- CHDK is experimental and comes with no warranty – Be sure to read the FAQ for discussion of possible risks and impact on your Canon warranty coverage.
Major CHDK features
- RAW - CHDK can record raw files, giving you access to every bit of data the sensor saw, without compression or processing. Raw files can be manipulated on the camera, or processed on your PC. CHDK also has experimental support for the open DNG raw standard.
- Override Camera parameters - Exposures from 64s to 1/60.000s with flash sync. Full manual or priority control over exposure, aperture, ISO and focus.
- Bracketing - Bracketing is supported for exposure, aperture, ISO, and even focus.
- Video Overrides - Control the quality or bitrate of video, or change it on the fly.
- Scripting - Control CHDK and camera features using ubasic and Lua scripts. Enables time lapse, motion detection, advanced bracketing, and much more. Many user-written scripts are available on the forum and wiki.
- Motion detection - Trigger exposure in response to motion, fast enough to catch lightning.
- Edge overlay - Detect the edges in a scene, and display them later. Ideal for timelapses, stop-motion, stereography and much more.
- Live Histogram - CHDK includes a customizable, live histogram display, like those typically found on more expensive cameras.
- Zebra-Mode - Displays under and overexposure areas live on the screen.
- GRIDS - Create custom grids and display whichever one suits your shooting conditions.
- Multi-Lingual Interface - CHDK supports about 13 languages, and adding more languages is simple.
- DOF Calculator - Display detailed DOF information on the screen.
- Customizable OSD - Improved display of battery status, free space, camera parameters, and much more. Fully customizable with an on-screen editor.
- Filebrowser - Manage files without a PC.
- Textreader - Display text files on your camera.
- Games - Play Reversi, Sokoban or 4-in-a-Row on your camera.
- USB remote - Simple DIY remote allows you to control your camera remotely.
- Benchmark - Compare the performance of your SD cards.
- User Menu - Edit your own customizable User-Menu for fast access to often used features.
CHDK works with the following file extensions:
Note: You can click on any file extension link from the list below, to view its detailed information. The list of extensions used or otherwise associated with the application may not be complete, because many common file extensions on our website, such as jpg (pictures) or txt (text files), can be opened by a large number of applications, or are too general file format. However most, if not all directly associated file extensions should be listed with its appropriate program. Although its likely, that some file extensions may be missing from the list of associated file extensions with the application, yet they can be opened, be part of, or otherwise be associated with the program.
Comparison table of actions that CHDK can perform with its associated file type beta
This table might not contain all possible associated or supported file types or may contain incorrect data.
If you need more information please contact the developers of CHDK (CHDK Wiki), or check out their product website.
File type \ Action