HDF file extension - Hierarchical Data Format file
What is hdf file? How to open hdf files?
File type specification:
The HDF file extension is commonly used for Hierarchical Data Format. It is a library and multi-object file format for the transfer of graphical and numerical data between machines. It is freely available. The distribution consists of the HDF library, the HDF command line utilities, and a test suite (source code only).
Features of the HDF File Format:
- It is versatile. HDF supports several different data models. Each data model defines a specific aggregate data type and provides an API for reading, writing, and organizing data and metadata of the corresponding type. Data models supported include multidimensional arrays, raster images, and tables.
- It is self-describing, allowing an application to interpret the structure and contents of a file without any outside information.
- It is flexible. With HDF, you can mix and match related objects together in one file and then access them as a group or as individual objects. Users can also create their own grouping structures using an HDF feature called vgroups.
- It is extensible. It can easily accommodate new data models, regardless of whether they are added by the HDF development team or by HDF users.
- It is portable. HDF files can be shared across most common platforms, including many workstations and high performance computers. An HDF file created on one computer can be read on a different system without modification.
- Mime: application/x-hdf
List of software applications associated to the .hdf file extension
Recommended software programs are sorted by OS platform (Windows, Mac OS X etc.) and possible program actions
that can be done with the file: like open hdf file, edit hdf file, convert hdf file, view hdf file, play hdf file etc. (if exist software for corresponding action in File-Extensions.org's database).
Click on the tab below to simply browse between the application actions, to quickly get a list of recommended software, which is able to perform the specified software action, such as opening, editing or converting of the hdf files.
- Open hdf file
- Save hdf file
- Edit hdf file
- View hdf file