Files with tec extension can mainly be found as ASCII Data files used by Tecplot software like Tecplot 360.
There are 3 other file types using
the TEC file extension!
.tec - Tanner L-edit layout technology data file
.tec - PDP-10 TECO macro file
.tec - Samsung phones cached image
Software that works with tec file extension
TEC file extension - Tecplot ASCII data
What is tec file? How to open tec files?
File type specification:
The tec file extension is sometimes used for Tecplot ASCII Data files. Tecplot, a a family of visualization software tools developed by Tecplot, Inc.
The more common and default file extension is dat, but some programs export Tecplot compatible data files with tec file extension instead. Tecplot can probably work with them if the file extension is renamed back to dat.
These files can be converted to standard binary PLT format used by TecPlot with preplot.exe program located in the /bin folder inside the program folder. They can also be loaded directly to Tecplot and exported to another format.
Tecplot tec files have the following characteristic:
- ASCII (although TECPLOT can create and use binary data files)
- Color is not associated with the data, but can be added during postprocessing by the TECPLOT program, or by associating variables "R", "G" and "B" with data, for instance;
- 2D or 3D data, and can have time dependence;
- No compression (except for the binary data format option);
- Geometric data is stored, but the user can also store associated quantities such as pressure, temperature, or velocity.
- Data is grouped into zones whose meaning is determined by the user. Animation is achieved by starting with each zone being a "time snapshot", and displaying one zone at a time.
The default software associated to tec file type:
Company or developer:
Tecplot 360 is numerical simulation and CFD visualization software that combines vital engineering plotting with data visualization into one application.
List of software applications associated to the .tec file extension
Recommended software programs are sorted by OS platform (Windows, Mac OS X etc.) and possible program actions
that can be done with the file: like open tec file, edit tec file, convert tec file, view tec file, play tec file etc. (if exist software for corresponding action in File-Extensions.org's database).
Click on the tab below to simply browse between the application actions, to quickly get a list of recommended software, which is able to perform the specified software action, such as opening, editing or converting of the tec files.
- Open tec file
- Save tec file
- Edit tec file
- View tec file
- Convert tec file
- Create tec file
- Print tec file