Found 120 file extension associations related to WinZip and 35 file formats developed specifically for use with WinZip.
Platform, operating system: Microsoft Windows
Go to: WinZip description
Developer: WinZip Computing, S.L.
WinZip Computing software list & details
Developer / company: WinZip Computing
WinZip includes major usability enhancements, improved compression technology and, is now available in a Standard and a Pro version. Both the Standard and Pro versions are made available in one distribution file. Functionality is determined by either a Standard or Pro registration code.
Both the Standard and Pro versions offer new, state-of-the-art compression technology allowing you to make even smaller Zip files, and a new Explorer-style view of your Zip file contents, making them easier to navigate, modify, and extract.
Other enhancements include:
- the ability to create split (multi-volume) Zip files during compression, automatic update checking and many more.
- If you've ever used WinZip to backup data sets, archive important documents, or distribute information to others on a regular basis, you'll appreciate the WinZip Job Wizard, included in WinZip Pro. The WinZip Job Wizard provides powerful productivity and automation features that help to simplify your repetitive compression tasks.
- Explorer-style view
- Both versions of WinZip feature a new Explorer-style view of your Zip files, making it much easier to work with complex, multi-folder archives.
The Explorer-style view allows you to:
- See the structure of your Zip file at a glance, using a tree-structured view of the folders in your Zip file. The tree view lets you quickly drill down to see only the items in folders that you want to work with. This view appears in the left pane of the WinZip Classic window, and is easily switched on or off according to your preference.
- Display only the files and subfolders in the currently selected folder. These items appear in the separate right pane and can be displayed as tiles, icons, a simple list, or a detailed list.
- Create new folders in your Zip file.
- Add files directly to new or existing folders in your Zip file using drag and drop.
- Quickly extract individual folders and their subfolders by dragging and dropping them to Windows Explorer.
- Easily delete folders and their subfolders from your Zip files.
WinZip supports two new compression methods within the Zip file format, PPMd and bzip2. These compression methods can provide greater compression and may significantly reduce the size of your Zip files, saving both data transmission time and valuable disk space.
Note: extracting files compressed with PPMd or bzip2 requires a compatible Zip file utility. Currently WinZip 9.0 and 10.0 will process Zip files compressed using the bzip2 method. WinZip is required for PPMd-compressed files.
Note: we have published the full specification of PPMd compression support in Zip files, to allow authors of other Zip file utilities to adopt the PPMd compression format as well.
Automation (WinZip Pro only)
WinZip Pro features the 'WinZip Job Wizard', a completely new and powerful productivity and automation tool. The WinZip Job Wizard allows you to create Zip "jobs" that identify the "what, where, when, and how" of virtually any repetitive zipping task. Once you've created a job, you can run it as easily as double-clicking an icon on your desktop, or schedule it to run automatically.
You can use WinZip jobs for periodic reporting, off-site storage, daily data backups, and anything else that you do repetitively.
WinZip jobs are extremely powerful yet incredibly easy to create and use:
- The new Job Wizard guides you through the process of creating and modifying the WinZip job files by helping you to identify what files and folders you want to compress, where you want to place the Zip file, and how you want the compression performed.
- You can schedule WinZip jobs to run unattended at YOUR convenience, daily, weekly, or monthly. Alternatively, you can run a WinZip job any time you want, directly from Windows Explorer, from the WinZip Classic menus, or from the WinZip Wizard.
- You can automatically send the Zip files created by your jobs to remote FTP sites (great for off-site storage or transmitting compressed data to a central location).
WinZip jobs even let you specify "Generic folder names" which allow a single job specification to be used by multiple users to create Zip files that are user- and/or machine-specific. For example, a single job file that specifies the generic folder,
, always refers to the current user's personal documents folder, no matter where it is located or what it is named. Generic folder names can be used to specify both the location of files to compress and the location of the resultant Zip file.
- WinZip jobs support encryption of your zipped data using either standard Zip 2.0 encryption or WinZip's advanced AES encryption, and can be configured to use a supplied password automatically or to prompt you for a password when the job runs.
- WinZip jobs allow you to create multi-volume Zip files of user-definable sizes for easy storage on removable media.
- Additional optional time and date information can be appended to Zip file names and their locations to allow you to create a different Zip file each time the job is run, so today's Zip file won't overwrite yesterday's.
- WinZip can create an optional log file to allow for silent operation and to provide you with the detailed results of your job each time it is run.
In addition to jobs that you create, WinZip includes several pre-defined job files for compressing the contents of your most common folders and files, such as My Documents, Windows Desktop, your Favorites folder, even your Outlook and Outlook Express e-mail files.
Zip to CD or DVD (WinZip Pro on Windows XP only)
WinZip Pro now allows you to create Zip files directly on CD or DVD, making it unnecessary to zip first to your hard disk and then transfer the Zip files to CD or DVD. Large Zip files will automatically span multiple CDs or DVDs, if necessary. Supported disc formats include: CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-R, DVD+R.
WinZip Quick File Selection IconQuick file selection
Do you need to see all of the DOC files in your Zip file, or all of the spreadsheets with names that begin with "July"? WinZip makes easy work of locating one or more files in a Zip file with many members. Just use the new 'Select files' feature to specify a name or wildcard pattern and all matching files will be selected and moved to the top of the file list, ready for your next instruction.
Attachment management support
WinZip supports Windows XP SP2's Attachment Manager by working with Windows to block the extraction and execution of dangerous file types from Zip files you download with Internet Explorer or receive as Outlook Express e-mail attachments. This service helps you protect your computer by warning you of files that might be dangerous to open.
More efficient Zip file splitting
WinZip can easily split your large Zip files as they are created. In one simple step you can zip large amounts of data and split it into smaller pieces for easy storage on removable media or for sending by e-mail.
Automatic update checking
WinZip can automatically check to see if a new version of the program is available. Periodic update checking runs on a schedule of your choosing, or you can check manually whenever you like. When an update is available, WinZip displays a brief description of the update and offers to open an Internet browser window to the WinZip web site.
size: 128px x 128px (.png with transparency)
Sample related conversions
Note: You can click on any file extension link from the list below, to view its detailed information. The list of extensions used or otherwise associated with the application may not be complete, because many common file extensions on our website, such as jpg (pictures) or txt (text files), can be opened by a large number of applications, or are too general file format. However most, if not all directly associated file extensions should be listed with its appropriate program. Although its likely, that some file extensions may be missing from the list of associated file extensions with the application, yet they can be opened, be part of, or otherwise be associated with the program.
WinZip default file extension associations
The most common file formats used with the specific file extensions
.z01 file extension is used for Split Multi-volume ZIP compressed file archive (part 2)
.z02 file extension is used for Split Multi-volume ZIP compressed file archive (part 3)
.z03 file extension is used for Split Multi-volume ZIP compressed file archive (part 4)
.z04 file extension is used for Split Multi-volume ZIP compressed file archive (part 5)
.z05 file extension is used for Split Multi-volume ZIP compressed file archive (part 6)
.zab file extension is used for Zipped audio book
.zip file extension is used for WinZIP Compressed ZIP archive
Other file extensions or file formats developed for use with WinZip
Common file extensions used by WinZip
Other file extensions associated with WinZip