A caf file extension is related to the Apple Core Audio Format for storing and manipulating digital audio data used by Apple QuickTime framework.
There are 3 other file types using
the CAF file extension!
.caf - CryENGINE character animation file
.caf - Cal3D binary animation file
.caf - Class Action Gradebook file
Software that works with caf file extension
CAF file extension - Apple Core Audio Format
What is caf file? How to open caf files?
File type specification:
caf file icon:
The caf file extension is related to Apple QuickTime and used for Apple Core Audio format.
Apple's Core Audio Format is a flexible, state-of-the-art file format for storing and manipulating digital audio data. It is fully supported by Core Audio APIs on Mac OS X v10.4 and later and on Mac OS X v10.3 with QuickTime 7 or later. CAF provides high performance and flexibility, and is scalable to future ultra-high resolution audio recording, editing, and playback.
The *.caf files have several advantages over other standard audio file formats:
- Unrestricted file size - whereas aiff, aiff-c, and wav files are limited in size to 4 gigabytes, which might represent as little as 15 minutes of audio, caf files use 64-bit file offsets, eliminating practical limits. A standard caf file can hold audio data with a playback duration of hundreds of years.
- Safe and efficient recording - applications writing aiff and wav files must either update the data header’s size field at the end of recording—which can result in an unusable file if recording is interrupted before the header is finalized—or they must update the size field after recording each packet of data, which is inefficient. With caf files, in contrast, an application can append new audio data to the end of the file in a manner that allows it to determine the amount of data even if the size field in the header has not been finalized.
- Support for many data formats - *.caf files serve as wrappers for a wide variety of audio data formats. The flexibility of the caf file structure and the many types of metadata that can be recorded enable caf files to be used with practically any type of audio data. Furthermore, caf files can store any number of audio channels.
- Support for many types of auxiliary data - in addition to audio data, caf files can store text annotations, markers, channel layouts, and many other types of information that can help in the interpretation, analysis, or editing of the audio.
- Support for data dependencies - certain metadata in caf files is linked to the audio data by an edit count value. You can use this value to determine when metadata has a dependency on the audio data and, furthermore, when the audio data has changed since the metadata was written.
The default software associated to caf file type:
Company or developer:
Apple QuickTime is multimedia framework that as able to work with various formats of digital video, picture, sound, panoramic images, and interactivity.
Company or developer:
Apple QuickTime for Mac is multimedia framework capable of handling various formats of digital video, picture, sound, panoramic images, and interactivity. Apple QuickTime for Mac is a part of the Apple Mac OS X.
List of software applications associated to the .caf file extension
Recommended software programs are sorted by OS platform (Windows, Mac OS X etc.) and possible program actions
that can be done with the file: like open caf file, edit caf file, convert caf file, view caf file, play caf file etc. (if exist software for corresponding action in File-Extensions.org's database).
Click on the tab below to simply browse between the application actions, to quickly get a list of recommended software, which is able to perform the specified software action, such as opening, editing or converting of the caf files.
- Open caf file
- Save caf file
- Edit caf file
- Play caf file
- Convert caf file
- Create caf file
- Record caf file
- Import caf file
- Export caf file